Gate valve: refers to the valve that the closing part (gate) moves along the vertical direction of the channel axis. It is mainly used for cutting medium on the pipeline. That is, fully open or fully closed. In general, gate valves cannot be used for regulating the flow rate. It can be used for low-temperature low-pressure or high-temperature high-pressure and can be used according to the different materials of the valve. However, gate valves are generally not used for conveying mud and other media in the pipeline.
Advantages of Gate Valve:
- Small flow resistance;
- Opening and closing torque is small;
- Can be used in the medium to flow in two directions of the ring network pipeline, that is to say, the flow direction of the medium is not limited;
- When fully open, the sealing surface is less eroded by the working medium than the globe valve;
- The body structure is relatively simple, and the manufacturing process of the Gate Valve is better;
- The structural length is relatively short.
- The overall size and opening height are larger, and the space for installation is also larger;
- During opening and closing, the friction and abrasion of the sealing surface are larger. What’s more, the high temperature is easy to cause the phenomenon of abrasions;
- Generally, the gate valves have two sealing surfaces, which increases the difficulties in processing, grinding, and maintenance;
- It takes a long time to open and close Gate Valve.
Compact design, strong valve stiffness, smooth channel, low flow resistance, use of stainless steel and hard alloy on the sealing surface, long service life, PTFE packing, trustworthy seal, light and flexible operation. Some cons also discuss like, Maintenance is more difficult due to the sealing surface’s ease of erosion and abrasion.